Tuesday 14 September 2010

Day 13 - Markets, Rain, Sea, sand and thank fully sunshine!

OMG I couldn't sleep last night!  I kept thinking about that email from the Facebook weirdo. Was he the Gok wannabe and he had followed me back and somehow, mysteriously found me on Facebook?!?  You can tell my mind goes into overdrive!!

Woke up this morning to find I had a typical Brit look.  My face was so red, I looked like I'd just completed the London Marathon twice!!

Hmmm note to self, must constantly re-apply suntan lotion! Luckily, that has bronzed off just nicely through the day!!

Well there was glorious sunshine, clear blue skies and the weather forecast said 27c and 96% chance of rain.  I'll let you into a little secret, it says that every morning but by about 3pm you do get an accurate report once the weather station has monitored the day.

After yesterdays struggle ensuring I'd totally covered myself in the old sun cream, I decided to smear it on before I went out!

Loaded up my beach/shopper bag with my newly purchased straw beach mat (20HKD -£2), that I picked up yesterday, my book, camera, suncream and all my other odds and sods I take with me.

Jumped on the MTR to Central and then on route to the bus station, stopped off for a cheese, ham and tomato croissant (delicious!) and a cup of tea from Pret-a-Manger. The woman put that much milk in it, I might as well just asked for a cup of milk with a dash of water and a dip of teabag!

Put my life in danger again on the brush with death bus.  I do wonder if these people have licences to drive??  I think my 14yr old niece could drive better and I'm being serious!!

There was a young American couple also going to Stanley on the death bus.  We passed Deep Water Bay, Repulse Bay and then it appeared everyone was getting off.  The girl asked if we were in Stanley and I said, I usually just judge by how many people get off!

We went down stairs and I asked the driver and in his broken Chinglish, I got the impression we needed to stay on till the next stop.  Started walking down the slope to Stanley market when the heavens opened.  For once the weather report was right!!

I have to say, I wasn't overly impressed with the market, although I had read it was a tourist attraction and these days it was rare to find a bargain. Spot on, although I did find a nice range of 'Buy one, get one free' designer fake handbags!  Before you ask, I didn't buy one.  I've saving that for when I go back to Guuuuciiiiiii, Praaaaaaaaaadaaaaaaa land!




Took a stroll down Stanley Main Street. Really don't know why it's called Main Street ,as all that's there is the promenade and about 6 restaurants/bars!



Finally ended up at the beach.  Not as nice as yesterdays....



Observations of the day...

  1.  Chinese people answer the phone and say Why e. It's like Why I, if you were from Newcastle but there is no pause for breath and the the 'e' is drawn out. Whyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  2. If you speak to someone who doesn't understand English, they will carry on talking at you, regardless of whether you understand or not.
Right, jim jam time.  Paddington is a very tired bear indead!  Sleep tight.

xxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment