Wednesday 15 September 2010

Day 14 - Shey O or Shet Ole?

Woke up this morning, the sun was shining in through my window, weather report said the usual 27 degrees.  What to do today. Maybe the beach for a change???

Todays beach was Shey O.  Caught the MTR to Shau Kei Wan where I was to catch a death bus to Shey O.  When I left the MTR station, a Chinese man who must of been about 45ish walks along side me. "Whyyyyyyy-eeeeee".  I ignore him and carry on walking. "hellooooooooooo".  Again I carry on walking but he doesn't give up that easily.  I've weaving in and out of the bus terminal with the weirdo hot on my trail.  He finally gives up the chase.  How do I manage to attract these freaks??

Board the minibus I'd found that said it went to Shey O.  I swear this minibus could have been used in The Darling Buds of May.  You can imagine me on this Charabang!!!

Right onto the beach!

The online description of Shey O;
Shek O is a fantastic seaside village, with a wide selection of quaint shops and restaurants that offer great al fresco seating. Changing rooms, lifeguards and shark nets are all also in place.
Personally, I would have renamed it Shet Ole and my description would have been very different;

If you fancy Shanty Town Chic, Shet Ole is your place.  A cross between Grimsby Fish Docks and Royston Vasey, Shet Ole is certainly an eye opener.  Expect to be harassed by the locals desperate to make a living in this primitive village.

 One of the 'quaint' restaurants!!!


The beach;

Spot the Brit abroad... yes the one who has a pink glow!!

The dodgy photo shoot which later led to me witnessing this man, with his meat and two veg hanging out, but still wearing his dressing gown and knee deep in the sea! Bizarre!!

 Observations of the day;

  1. Not all Chinese women shave their arm pits.  I have seen many a full grown tuft blowing in the wind here.
  2. When bus drivers drive, you would think their lives depended on getting to their destination as fast as possible.  Trying to get them to drive in the first place, is a different matter.  They will happily sit there for half an hour, engine running, eating and chatting on their phone!
  3. People are similar to the 'Terminator'.  They can scan crowds and spot foreigners regardless of crowd size and location.
Got back tonight and I won't lie.  I felt incredibly homesick.  All I wanted to do was come home.  I'd had enough of the here.  I spent the evening in tears, trying to look to move my return flight.  I've had a disaster with my bank accounts as I can't access my online bank accounts and therefore can not transfer money from one account to my credit card, to enable me to pay any online charges required.

I think having had no work had finally made me crack.  I felt soooo fed up, I couldn't even update my blog last night!

Feeling much better this morning, maybe it's the sunshine! Oh well, lets see what today's adventure brings! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment