Monday 6 September 2010

Day 5 and it's 32 degrees!!!

Thank god for my bible AKA Eyewitness Travel Top 10 Hong Kong!!!

Today I caught the MTR back to Central and then on the next train to Tung Chung. Must admit, I'm getting used to this MTR malarky. London - watch and learn, the tube could be so much better!

To be fair it was a long journey but well worth it and it only cost me 21HKD (£2.10)! Got out of the lovely air conditioned station to be hit full force with the heat wave! OMG it's still too hot! Caught the Ngong Ping 360 Cable Car to Lantau Island. This was a 25min journey but the other option was an hour long bus ride. In that heat, no thanks!!

The cable car takes you out and across the sea and up through the mountains (4 miles). I opted for the cheaper ride without the glass bottom floor as I hate to see what's below. Just focus on the horizon and I'll be OK!!!

Now, I bet you're all wondering where I was off too......

I journeyed to Lantau to visit the Big Buddha and the Po Lin Monastery!

The Po Lin Monastery is Hong Kong's largest Buddhist Monastery. I don't know what I expected but somehow I expected it to be a lot bigger or maybe I only saw what was visible to the public.

The entrance


 The Monks!

Inside the Monastery

Next stop, The Big Buddha! This is the world's tallest Buddha sat at the top of Ngong Ping.


View on the approach


This photo doesn't do it justice really. This was the closest I could get without a Chinese tourist invading my view!!

The Buddha if 85ft tall and made from bronze. I climbed 268 steps to get to this in the 32 degree, mid-day sun! I will confess to being out of breath and had to stop 3 times and pretend I was admiring the views!

I had planned on visiting the Harbour Laser Display over in Victoria Harbour tonight, but I'm shattered from today's adventures, so don't mind me, I'm tucked up in bed in my jim jams ready to plan tomorrows adventures.

Good night all, sweet dreams xxxxx



No comments:

Post a Comment