Tuesday 7 September 2010

Day 6 and by far the most adventurous day yet!!!

As I haven't had any work yet, I've decided I need to become a budget sightseer 'just in case'.

Started the morning with a gentle but sweaty stroll round Victoria Park. They have free Tai Chi classes on Mondays, Tuesday's and Friday's so may well visit again but other than that, once was probably enough.


How anyone can comprehend outdoor activities in this heat is any ones guess!!



The Foot Massage Pathway - meant to be enjoyed barefoot!


One of the many mini gardens

The 2nd destination of the day was Lockhart Road, the Inspiration for the novel 'The World of Suzie Wong'


Although this was once renowned as the red light district frequented by sailors, times have changed, although there are supposed to be a few topless bars still operating!


Lockhart Road


Lockhart Road

OK, so this is where the adventure began....

Lockhart Road is full of ladies thrusting leaflets for nail bars, foot massages, you name it, I've got a leaflet for it. It's a really busy road and I probably looked like your typical tourist traipsing down the road window shopping.  I mistakenly though my dark hair and sunglasses would mean I'd blend in nicely with the locals!!!

I popped into a couple of shops and after the final one decided I'd seen enough and it was time to head back.  I like to think I'm like a homing pigeon but on this occasion, I'd totally lost my bearings.  Taking a turn in which I thought would be the right direction to get back, I realised I was totally and utterly lost. 

Digging out my trusty old map the streets I could see were not shown on my map :0(  Standing on a corner deciding on my next move, I'm approached by a Gok wannabe.  He asked if I needed help so I showed him my map and asked him to show me where I was.

He asked where I wanted to get to and I said Times Square.  Now I know that's not where I wanted to go but this guy could be a potential serial killer and I am all alone in a foreign country!!  He said he could show me and my mind went into overdrive. Is this man going to sell me to the Triads where I'll have my passport taken from me and forced to go on the game??

He's making small talk all the way along these numerous roads. When he asked if I was alone I instinctively said no I was meeting friends at Times Square.  On route he showed me the shop he worked in, I just nodded and then dropped in the fact he was looking for a girlfriend. Weirdo alert!!!

We finally arrive at Times Square and we say our goodbyes only I don't really want to go to Times Square so I wait a few moments for him to carry on but he keeps looking back.  Well I'm more lost than ever now. I know Times Square is close to where I want to be but again, my map lets me down. It takes me a further hour to find my way back!!!

Well after my near miss with the potential Triad pimping serial killer, I decide I really must see the laser show tonight at the harbour over in Tsim ShaTsui.

Caught the MTR over to TST. Bloody guide books, they forgot to mention the 20 minute walk from the station to the Avenue of Stars!!




Now as tonight's pics haven't come out that great, I won't bore you with all of my collection!

Me - out of focus,, but taken by a kind American lady!


The laser show lasted approx ten minutes and consisted of the green light beams from the tower and a few white 'blobs' being shone into the sky.  It's hardly anything to write home about but at least I can say, 'Been there, done that'. That's another thing ticked off my list!!!

Somehow I get lost again trying to find my way back to the MTR - it's just not my day is it?!?  I see the entrance to the Star Ferry but knowing I don't particularly tolerate sea travel well, I carry on by but I soon change my ideas when I'm harassed by a fake watch seller further down the road and double back!

25p to get the ferry back to Wan Chai, that has to be worth any minor discomfort! To be fair, it wasn't that bad and probably only took ten minutes max.  A half hour walk armed with my map, sticking to main roads, I arrive back, safe and sound, full of tales and another adventure under my belt.

Somehow, I think I'll sleep well tonight. 

Night all xxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment