Friday 10 September 2010

Day 9 - Victoria Park Again!

Hello again, glad you could all make it...

Unfortunately not a lot to report today. Decided the bus ride to the beach was a bit too far, so decided it would be tanning in the park today! Strolled over to Victoria Park again seeing as it's only at the bottom of my street.


Went to get my supplies from the Wellcome Supermarket.  Ham pancakes for breakfast and a yet another bottle of water.  The pancakes were absolutely delicious.  I'm seriously hoping that all this trash I'm eating is not going to end up on the hips, but I'm sure I must sweat 500 calories a day!!!

Observations of the day

  1. All young women in shops pounce of you the minute you walk in a shop.  Just because I'm foreign, it doesn't mean I'm going to steal. Please stop watching Jeremy Kyle on cable.  Oh, and if I need help, I'll ask!
  2. Standard greeting for female shop assistants is "Hi".  This is said in the highest pitch possible - imagine someone pinching your bum as you speak.
  3. Alternative standard greeting is "Hello"  This must be drawn out for as long as possible - "Heeeeeeeeeeelloooooooooooooooooooooooo.  This is said in a slightly lower tone.
  4. If no response is given to these greetings, they assume you don't speak English so then launch in to Chinese babble.
  5. All young Chinese people think they are 'uber cool'.  Young males adopt the 'Gok' look whenever possible and young girls favour 'rock-chick chic'.
  6. Teenage girls adore 'Hello Kitty' or any other character for that matter.
  7. Louis Vuitton is standard issue, like your National Insurance card when you reach 16.
  8. All old, Chinese men are weird.  When they see you, the walk as if they are coming at you and just stare.  I have started checking myself out at every opportunity just in case;
  • I have a rash
  • I have horns growing out my head.
  • I have a post-it note stuck to my forehead saying 'Please stare at me'
So, on that note, better get down to my tanning update;

I'd gone to the park with the sole intention of tanning, greased up in my Australian Gold and ready for action.  I'm disappointed to say, I only managed 2hrs today, as it really was quite boring.  Don't get me wrong, there was plenty of people watching action with the packs of 'Muslim*' women all congregating in batches, shoeless and sat on bits of polythene having a picnic, but nothing majorly exciting i.e. no strange head wear to report! *I say Muslin due to the headdresses but not 100% on that.

Decided I would continue the exploration of the park as it is huge and made up of individual little garden areas although still can't find the Queen Victoria statue.

Thought it would be nice to stroll down to the harbour again and get a nice bit of breeze. There's only so long you can handle 31 degrees...

This is how the rich live, with their fancy boats in the harbour.....


...and this is what they have to sail past, to moor up;


Makes you realise just how lucky we are to have a nice roof over our heads.

Investigated some more of the shopping malls on route home. Yhey Starbucks! £1.70 for an English Breakfast Tea. Oh heaven. Now I don't know what was in that tea bag, but it sure as hell didn't look like tea leaves. More reminiscent of pencil shavings and dried twigs but hey ho, kept me happy :0)

Now, I know a lot of you are jealous of my little adventure, but it's not all glam you know. Friday night started with a spot of hand washing my smalls in the bottom of the shower!  What a start to the weekend!!

Couldn't decide on the culinary delights for this evening, another visit to Delicious Kitchen or would I possibly become braver?

Got outside and it had just started that fine rain, you know, the one that soaks you right through. Well that was it, McDonald's it was then. Oh, how I worship Big Mac.

Lying on my bed now in my pj's listening to another horrific tropical thunderstorm.  Oh the joys!!

Now I would say good night but somehow I don't think I'm going to get to sleep for a long time now. Pass the cotton wool and Nytol please.... xxxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment