Wednesday 8 September 2010

Day 7 - "Watch Miss? Handbag Miss? Gucciiiiii, Praaaaadaaaaa....."

Well after discovering on last nights little adventure, Wan Chai is only about a 10 minute walk down the Gloucester Road and then from Wan Chai Pier, the Star Ferry takes you over to TST for the bargain price of 25p, today has to be my cheapest outing by far.

2 ferry crossings, 2 museums and a park all for the total outlay of 50p. Bargain!

On Wednesday's, the museums are free admission so it would be stupid not to take advantage.

Started the morning at the Space Museum.  To be fair, some of the history was quite boring but it was free so I made the most of it...


I think the model was made on Blue Peter lol            

Next was a stroll in the heatwave, to find the Heritage Discovery Centre in Kowloon Park via the infamous Nathan Road also known as 'The Golden Mile'.


Renowned for it's low standard, budget accommodation along with street hawkers of fake goods and dodgy eateries of mainly Indian food, this is not the kind of place I wanted to hang around!

On Nathan Road, I got accosted on numerous occasions by unsavory looking characters who call out "Watch Miss?  Handbag Miss?  Gucciiiiii, Praaaaadaaaaa....." in their drawn out Chinglish. I lost count of how many I had ask me but I just waved my hand and said no but they don't give up!

Finally got to Kowloon Park. It's actually really, really pretty.  From my adventures I've established the Chinese have various occupations; park/street cleaners, street hawkers, cigarette sellers or shop workers. Those that don't work seem to sit or sleep in parks all day or shop.  The suited and booted I see on the MTR all seem to be English or American or maybe they're the only ones stupid enough to wear suits in this heat!!


The weird workers. I bet I saw at least 20 in this park alone!

 Flamingos in the park!!

Next port of call, The Hong Kong Heritage and Discovery Centre


And the best sign of the day award goes to.....

I had to take the photo a bit quick as security were watching!

Now, I have to say, this was a much more interesting museum. It charted the history of Hong Kong including how all the building work came about, a model of some unique bridge which put that one in America to shame and an insight into how tradesmen learn their skills. There were tool displays and everything. You all know what a tom boy I am really and how I love my tools. I must get it from my Dad!!

Well all that for 50p. I am a shoestring traveller!

Oh and I've got a new friend today as well. I forgot to ask her name. I met her struggling up the road armed with 2 suitcases and a piece of paper. She asked if I was English. Yhey someone that can't tell! She was from Germany and had just arrived and was looking for the hostel I'm staying in. I did my good deed and walked her to the front door, pointed out it was next to the Burberry store and also showed her where the local supermarket was. Hmmmm wish I could put £1 on tonight's lottery, I'm sure my numbers would come in!

Got back to my room a few hours later and I could here someone struggling to lock their room door. I knew exactly what they were going through as I'd endured the same thing.  I opened my door to help. It's only the German girl again. I showed her you have to press the button, before you close it and she said I really was her angel. Ahhhh bless her. That's two good deeds in one day. Karma, could you remember this day please?

It's half 8 here now and I need to go and hunt down some food. I'm getting tired of Big Macs and Pizza so might have to try and be a bit more adventurous this time.

Speak to you all later.

Me xxxxxxx

2 comments:

  1. Gosh Hayles what a fun blog - not bad for a blog virgin! It's like having my very own tour of hong kong! Keep us updated we love reading from our very own chinglish reporter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello you! Well, it was your idea really so I can't take all the credit. I did it for people that couldn't access Facebook like my Dad and Jim's parents but it's actually better than just posting pictures on FB as there's no story plus it makes me chuckle xx

    ReplyDelete